Thursday, May 29, 2014

What's In a Name...



My name is not a popular one, Cicely. I couldn't find it at souvenir shops, there wasn't a license plate or pencils I could access easily like a Elizabeth or Ashley. I was a little disheartened yet I got over it. I did not like my name for the longest. Many people made fun of it, called me Cielly(The Color Purple) and said it sounded like a slave name. I just brushed it off. 

I had just started high school and was like I can be anybody I wanted to be. I decided to go by my middle name, Renee. My classmates and teammates all called me Renee. One game night, one of my teammates went up to my mom and said, "You are Renee's mom" My mom said "who?" The whole year I went back and forth and couldn't make the name Renee stick. I remember the last day of school this handsome sophomore or junior named Quincy (Rest in Peace) asked me my name and I said "Cicely" He looked at me and said, "That is such a beautiful name" I will never forget that and ever since I loved my name. A lot of people really liked my name as well. 

I knew that my name meant "Blind" and I was so confused. I was like what does that mean. My mom always called me "SweCely" and every time she says that she asks me do you know what that means? I would breath heavily and say yes mom, Sweet Cicely. She always said I was a sweet girl. I did more research on my name and found that there is also a plant called Sweet Cicely. 

Sweet Cicely is an attractive plant that is a striking component of herb gardens and hedgerows. 
This early flowering perennial is renowned for its aniseed taste and fragrance. Growing to a height of 90cm, umbels of tiny white flowers appear from spring to early summer. The fern-like leaves are deeply divided and smell of aniseed when crushed. 

Sweet Cicely was formerly a widely cultivated culinary herb, but now only occasionally grown in the herb garden. As a culinary herb it is a valuable sweetener, especially for diabetics and for the many people who are trying to reduce their sugar intake. Used in many savory as well as sweet dishes, it gives a delightful flavour and helps to save almost half the sugar needed. 

I thought that was so cool because my mom did not know about that plant. I firmly believe that what you call someone they will be. Even what you call yourself. I become disheartened when people name their children names that have no meaning. It is like sending them out into the wild. 

In Genesis 35:18 Rachel was having a hard time with her birth, Rachel was about to die, but with her last breath she named the baby Ben-oni (which means "son of my sorrow"). The baby's father, however, called him Benjamin (which means "son of my right hand"). Now imagine the life if the child's name was Ben-oni. He would most likely walk around sorrowfully. May not be entirely true. 

Look at Judges 13:24 Samson, And the woman bare a son, and called his name Samson: and the child grew, and the LORD blessed him. What does Samson mean? "Like the sun; strong"  and yes, he was indeed strong. 

I found out more of my name yesterday as a close friend sent me a message that inspired me greatly and this is my response, this blog. :)


She sent me this:
English Meaning: The name Cicely is an English baby name. In English the meaning of the name Cicely is: A feminine form of Cecil, derived from the Roman clan name Caecilius, which is based on the Latin 'coccus' meaning 'blind'. "Guide for the Blind"

Soul Urge Number: 5
People with this name have a deep inner desire for travel and adventure, and want to set their own pace in life without being governed by tradition.

Expression Number: 3 
People with this name tend to be creative and excellent at expressing themselves. They are drawn to the arts, and often enjoy life immensely. They are often the center of attention, and enjoy careers that put them in the limelight. They tend to become involved in many different activities, and are sometimes reckless with both their energies and with money.
It was all so real! I got really excited when there was more explaining what BLIND meant. A guide for the blind.... I thought that was deep. I am an educator and love to teach and guide people with resources and knowledge. That is funny because that is what all my jobs were a guide. On all my resumes my objective was: Seeking full time position providing education, resources and opportunities. Aint that something.
My Soul Urge number and Expression number is right on point. I express myself through writing. Love the arts. Love to travel and take adventures. I was so blessed to have read this and I thank Grace for sending me this with much encouragement.
I love to write. A couple of weeks ago a Prophet (Whom I have never met) prophesied over my life saying I am supposed to be writing, Writing children's books, plays and more. That was so on point as well because for a while I was like I really want to start writing children's books. So get ready! I renamed my blog CicelyRenee because I really embody that name bt also know I am much more than just my name. God has put in me purpose and whatever He calls me, I am that.

So my question to you is:
What does your name mean?
What are people calling you? What do you call yourself?

Peace and Blessings,
CicelyRenee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors